Some Doggone Awesome Mentoring and Coaching
They are cousins, aren’t they? I mean, mentoring and coaching.
We might look at mentoring as the bigger picture and coaching as the hands-on. The forest and the trees.
Of course, mentors also coach…and coaches mentor. They both encourage. And, they both bring out the best in their protege or student.
And, I’ve never seen a better example of both than in this video. It’s been going around YouTube lately and, if you’re an animal lover, you may have already seen it.
It features a scared foster puppy named Daisy trying to navigate some stairs, and her older and wiser foster brother…her mentor, her coach, her family member, her friend, Simon teaching and encouraging her all the way. (Be sure to watch the entire 1:44 minute video all the way to the end.)
Just a few of the lessons:
- Simon waits until he’s definitely needed. He doesn’t offer his help too quickly, first giving Daisy an opportunity to do it on her own.
- At first he simply provides a quick example.
- He continues to show the way, ever so patiently, even though Daisy isn’t quite getting it. But, he just keeps going. Even walking after her when it looks as though she wants to quit and walk away.
- Simon encourages, encourages, encourages.
- At the very end, he provides support so that Daisy knows she’s safe, while still having the opportunity to complete the task herself.
And, he expresses to Daisy how proud he is of her.
I’ve seen very few human mentors and coaches do it as well as Simon did. I’ve never seen myself do it as well as Simon did.
Any other lessons you see that I might have missed?